Thursday, February 16, 2012

Jenn Philosophy and Life Wisdom in Korea


1.Silent Night - I am finding that a full night of silence after work is amazing. Children make you appreciate the quiet of your thoughts.

2. READ - When working in a foreign country, especially when you are around Non-Native English speaking people daily, READ a lot… or you will surely lose to the brain’s ability to naturally adapt to a culture’s way of speaking English. Enter Exhibit A: Jenn - when she first arrived in Korea.

3. The Way Things Are - Give up the search for reasonably priced peanut butter. It ain’t happenin’ Jenn.

4. Libraries : Face it, libraries are for the ‘University Kids’, that’s why they lock them up on campuses and the ordinary people just go to bookstores. Korea – Library Extinction = Jenn Homeless

5. Button Mystery : I don’t know about everyone else, but growing up I remember on many separate occasions when I used to stumble upon lost buttons - a lot - maybe even more often than the average person! They were in parking lots, in the booths at restaurants, even at the park in the grass. I always wondered…How does one go about losing a button? – I swear I am going somewhere with this. Ok, One morning I don my favorite sweater and head out to work. I deviate from the normal route by taking a detour through some parked vehicles and then… it happened. My sweater was caught in a button snatching and the button was pulled from the sweater! Where it fell I cannot say, but that, my friends, is how one loses a button. Mystery revealed and I was ecstatic! Haha. C’est la vie!

6. Volunteer in foreign countries –volunteering to do dishes for your housemate doesn’t count, in case you were wondering – Change some lives. You meet the best people.

7. Korea’s Winter Season – necessity- thermal socks, trust me.

8. The Solve All : drink wine by candlelight while reading a book in bed – remedy for everything.

9. Face the facts: Kids like anything with sound effects and the elderly will always find something wrong with you. Last, but not least, Moms and Dads can be wrong about many things.

10. Learn the Language and the Culture It’s fun to be able to say more than Kimchi and Gimbap.


More to come and stay tuned.

Love you all,

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment